Tuesday, November 10, 2009

bp6_2009112Web2.0


When looking through Web 2.0 tools, I find it challenging to find something that is educational and appropriate for my kindergartners. Since they come in all different ability levels it is sometimes difficult to find a site that can meet the needs of the lowest to the highest student abilities. Having readers, pre-readers and non-readers presents a challenge when finding an activity that all students can do.

Raylit.com is a fantastic site that addresses the educational needs of all levels of students. Raylit is geared for parents and children however would be great for a struggling student or ELL student. It offers over 750 games, videos and topics.

Topics include analytical skills involving matching, sequencing, colors, and shapes.
English language activities include upper and lower case letter recognition, sounds, blends, sight words, rhyming words, pre-reading skills, and comprehension.
Math activities include number recognition, counting skills, comparison of numbers, more and less, basic addition and subtraction, and writing numbers.
There is a section on general knowledge and science with video clips about animals and insects, marine life, plants and flowers, seasons. It covers places such as beaches, waterfalls, volcanoes, rivers and deserts. It has videos about professions such as firefighters, doctors, astronaut, and police officers.

As I think of the uses of this program in my classroom, I see the endless possibilities with students who have limited English. It uses the child’s name, and has a plethora of pre-reading and math activities. During my reading group time, it would be a great activity for an ELL student who is not quite ready for an actual reading lesson.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Many have commented on this tool as having wonderful possibilities. Let me know if you get to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    This sounds like something I can use in my 2nd grade class as well. I have some students still in the primer and pre-primer stages that could really benefit. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try it out with them also during our reading group time : )

    ReplyDelete